This Doctor Can is a campaign that supports the wellbeing, development and retention of physicians from all backgrounds and walks of life.
What we are doing
This Doctor Can celebrates diversity and promotes equality and inclusion by showcasing role models from across the broad spectrum of our membership. It also offers helpful information about RCP activities and initiatives in education, leadership, quality improvement, public relations and policy, all aimed at making every doctor feel included and inspired to progress in their careers.
What or who inspired you to become a doctor?
If you’re interested in getting involved in the campaign and would like to inspire others who may relate to your story, please get in touch. There are a number of ways you can contribute such as writing a blog post, taking part in a podcast recording, or offering a short comment for Twitter among other things.
Contact Hannah.Perlin@rcplondon.ac.uk for more details. We’d love to hear from you.
Join us on Twitter @ThisDoctorCan to tell us your inspiring story and share the campaign with others using hashtag #thisdoctorcan.
Read about our role models
- Dr Iain Lawrie, President of the Association for Palliative Medicine, reflects on what it’s like to be part of the medical LGBT community in his article Proud to be a physician.
- From Hong Kong to Sunderland, RCP Education Fellow Hussain Basheer explores his journey into medicine in his article My journey into medicine.
- Dr Helen Grote talks about how her deafness has helped her hear those with disabilities in her article The Listening Doctor.
- Dr Asif Munaf reflects on his journey into medicine, from council estate in Sheffield to new member’s ceremony at the RCP, in his article Growing up in a deprived area didn’t stop me pursuing my dream as a doctor.
- Dr Akon Esara talks about her determination, despite the challenges of racial discrimination, to work in the NHS and follow her mother's footsteps in her article Flying in the face of discrimination.